In this Article
We often hear about the benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle from our doctors, but did you know that healthy living can also save you money on your life insurance policy?
From lower premiums to rewards for exercise and healthy choices, your term life insurance policy can help you incentivize living a healthy lifestyle.
When you apply for life insurance, you are put into a “risk class.” This classification is based on your health at the time you apply for coverage. If you are generally healthy, you’ll be put into a standard risk class, but if you take better care of yourself than the average adult, you can be placed in a preferred class.
The lower your “risk,” the better your class, and the cheaper your policy will be.
We recommend that you apply for life insurance while you are young and healthy for this reason – younger adults get into lower risk classes and can lock in the lowest rates for their policy.
Many of us face certain health conditions that are beyond the control of healthy eating and exercise. If you have certain conditions, such as diabetes, you could still get a low premium on your policy and get the coverage you need. For those with certain pre-existing conditions, there are insurance companies that offer structured policies tailored to the needs of those with medical conditions that they’re managing as best they can.
Certain life insurance policies offer rewards for achieving your healthy living goals. Whether it be completing a daily exercise regimen or quitting smoking, you could receive benefits such as gift cards, health management devices such as a smartwatch that tracks your activity levels or discounts at certain locations.
While you don’t have control over all aspects of your health, knowing that your life insurance company will reward you for certain lifestyle changes can be a great way to get on track to living a healthy life.
Taking small steps towards a healthy lifestyle can help you feel better, save money and live a longer life for your loved ones. The American Heart Association shares a series of tips to help you achieve cardiovascular health, and these seven simple steps can help you stay on track towards a healthy life.
- Manage blood pressure
- High blood pressure is a risk factor when it comes to applying for life insurance and it can lead to heart disease and stroke. When you keep your blood pressure in a healthy range, you reduce the strain on your heart. This can help your body function at its best.
- Check your cholesterol
- High cholesterol can lead to heart disease as well. Controlling cholesterol and eating a healthy diet protects your arteries from plaque buildup.
- Keep an eye on blood sugar levels
- High blood sugar can damage your heart, kidneys, eyes and nerves over time. Eating nutrient-rich foods can help you keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Get active
- A few minutes of exercise throughout your workday can add up and make a huge difference for your health. Find an activity that works for you, whether it be taking a walk around your neighborhood or doing a few sets of jumping jacks at your desk throughout the day.
- Eat healthy
- A healthy diet and exercise are two of the most important things you can do to live longer and save money on life insurance. If you are able, growing fruits and vegetables is a great way to eat more healthy foods and save money. Local farmers offer co-ops, and you may also find affordable produce at your local farmer’s market on the weekends. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive, it may simply require more effort.
- Stop using tobacco
- When it comes to applying for life insurance, people who don’t use tobacco products are in a better health class. If you use tobacco products, consider trying to stop – this will not only improve your chances of qualifying for the most affordable life insurance, but it can also improve your overall health.
With Quility, you can get the life insurance coverage you need with added benefits such as no medical exams, health benefits with your policy and the lowest premiums on the marketplace.
Getting term life insurance is a decision that will protect your loved ones and provide you with peace of mind for years to come. If you have a mortgage or carry debt, term life ensures that your loved ones aren’t left with this burden when you’re gone.
If you’re ready to get coverage, fill out our online application today. You’ll be on your way to securing coverage in less than 10 minutes! We make it easy to achieve your healthy living goals with life insurance policies that match your budget, goals and lifestyle.
Let’s Get Started